Thursday, April 10, 2014

All Purpose Cleaners

Soap and Water
Ingredients:

  • Blue Dawn Dish Soap (I never measure just give it a good squirt, maybe a tsp, maybe a couple)
  • Warm Water
Directions:

Fill a spray bottle with warm water.  Add some Dawn Dish Soap.  Shake well.  This is the cleaner I reach for most often.  I use it to wash the table, counters, glass cooktop.  Basically all surfaces in the kitchen.  I used to use a soapy sponge to wipe down surfaces and then dry them with a dish towel, but it occurred to me that I could save a step by premixing Dawn and Water.  I've had someone ask if I washed the soap off after or what my thoughts were on the residue being left on surfaces.  If this bothers you, feel free to keep a spray bottle with just water in it to spray after, I personally don't feel this is necessary, mostly because I would not typically go back over an area cleaned with a sponge or even a different spray cleaner.


Glass/Window Cleaner

Ingredients:

  • 2oz Rubbing Alcohol
  • 2oz White Vinegar
  • 1tbsp Cornstarch
  • 16oz Warm Water
Directions:

Add ingredients to spray bottle and shake well.  Use to clean windows and mirrors.  I also use this as an all purpose kitchen cleaner and will also use it to wipe down the bathroom counters in between cleanings.


Vinegar and Water

Ingredients:

  • 1 part White Vinegar
  • 1-2 parts Warm Water


Directions:

Mix in a spray bottle.  You can use this to clean basically every surface.  It works well on mirrors, windows, counters, floors.  I started using a cup of white vinegar in a bucket of water to clean our floors, works great.  I will use this spray like you would use a wet swiffer between mopping (just spray the floor and wipe up, comes in handy during popsicle season!)

No comments: